A little more Raptorex

Wednesday, September 7, 2011




Well yesterday’s post was inevitably rather popular and I did promise a little more, so here it is. Above is the mounted cast of the holotype and below the life reconstruction sculpture of the head that was produced.

I am quite sure that this is something people have really been waiting to see following the controversy over the material, and certainly it seems to have been the subject of much discussion on the web as well as between palaeontologists. I’m not going to wade into that here, not least when I’ve been told there’s at least one more manuscript in preparation about this and it’s ontogenetic status etc. and I don’t want to interfere with or jeopardise anyone’s work with my thoughts. But the thing was on public display so a few photos seem in order. Suffice to say though, it looks pretty young to me, though I could only see it in a display case and not all of the material was there (the skull was represented by just a cast for example).



Anyway, here are some photos of the beast and there’ll be a bit more tomorrow too. These piccies are a combination of the mounted cast, and the combined holotype-cast in the display cast so the lighting, angles and elements vary a lot between photos.

For more information related to
href="http://dinosaurs-video.blogspot.com/"

title="dinosaurs">dinosaurs
, visit
href="http://www.rareresource.com">rareresource.com
.

0 comments:

Post a Comment